Saturday July 9, 2016 Guerneville CA.
This engine has a hole in the top of a piston
Today’s task was to remove the old engine from the van. I had to remove all the clutch housing stuff and a clutch jack shaft in the back side. And then there were the motor mount bolts in the front.
I slowly got all the stuff unhooked and moved the cherry picker in for the lift through the van’s side doors as shown. They used to call these kinds of lifts cherry pickers, but I don’t know if they still do or not. The cherry picker makes this job fairly easy.
The engine is up
Out the side doors
The engine is out
Removing the clutch stuff
I still need to take off the bell housing where the clutch is and remove the old clutch and flywheel as it will be used on the new engine.
Inspecting the flywheel, it looks like new. But the pressure plate and disc look like they need to be replaced. This unit is a ten inch diameter disc and is supposed to take an eleven inch disc also so I think I will get the larger one for the new engine.
Broken motor mount too
I also found a piece of one of the motor mounts on the ground. When I picked it up, I could see the rubber had broken, so I need a new motor mount, so I will replace them both.
Prepping the doghouse for the cut
I need to get all the wires off the back as I want to reroute them as they will be in the way when I cut the doghouse in half. I don’t want anything attached to the back part of the dog house as I want it easily removable.
Of course the seat belt hold down brackets are in the way which I’ll have to modify somehow and I still need to figure out how I’m going to clump the box back in so it’s neat and tidy and easy to remove.
That took up most of today and I’m glad to have the engine out as now I know what I need in parts clutch wise.
That was my day.