Monday August 1, 2016 Jenner CA.
Recouping from mechanicing
I needed to recoup from all my mechanicing this last weekend as I was pretty worn out. At 69 years of age, this kind of stuff takes it’s toll on me and I needed to rest up a bit, so I headed out to Jenner to kayak for the day.
Which way to go
Just right out
High tide and open
Heading up the river
Up to here
Get out of my way
Home for a nap
I loaded my boat on the car and went on home for a nap.
How do things line up
After a good nap, I finally got out and worked on the van. I needed to install the radiator and the fan to see how things were going to line up.
First I installed the alternator in it’s bracket as it was down under the fan area on the driver’s side, out of sight.
Once that was done I installed the radiator, the fan blades and the old fan shroud to see how things lined up with the new engine installed, using the old stuff that was used on the inline six engine I took out.
Things mostly lined up pretty good. The fan blades are a bit short as they should be under the shroud to work properly.
I contemplated adding a fan clutch, but after doing some research on them, decided not to, as these old van’s need as much cooling as they can get and the fan running all the time might just be a good idea. The heck with the slight better fuel economy.
So my other options are a longer spacer block on he end of the water pump. I already have an inch and a half one and don’t know yet, if I can get a longer one or not.
I could just extend the shroud out over the fan blades which I might do, if I can’t find a longer extension block. I have some more pieces of the plastic barrel I made the fan shroud from so that would be fairly easy to do.
Get under that shroud
I need more parts to hook it all up
One of the other reasons I wanted to get this all mounted up is to figure out and measure the rubber water hoses that run to the engine as I will need new ones to match things up. I will also order up two new fan belts, a matched set if I can get them.
I still need the rubber grommets for the pcv valve and pcv air inlet, to seal in the valve covers. I will use the old engines pcv valve as it is good.
And I need an oil stick unit to put on the passengers side of the engine as that’s most accessible in this set up. The drivers side oil unit is too hard to get to from the driver’s seat and besides it would come out under one of my cabinets on that side. I accidentally bought the driver’s side unit by mistake and tried it out just to see and no way will that one work. I had to pound it in to install it as it was a real tight fit, which means I’ll have to destroy it to remove it.
I also need to hook up my heater hoses into the system so I’m looking at getting the right fitting for that. It looks like two, ninety degree street ells with 5 eights inch hose ends will work best for that. I’m not sure if the old hoses are long enough or not and might have to get new longer ones to fit properly.
Things are moving along and looking pretty good as far as the V8 engine conversion. Still plenty to do, but it all looks doable at this point.
Nice day lazy day.